Put together Sausage and Spaghetti Bake early in the day and pop it in the oven for dinner! Full of melted mozzarella cheese, this one-dish meal is a delicious way to feed a crowd and leftovers reheat perfectly.
This is a great, one-dish meal to have on your list when you want to make dinner in advance, need to take a dish to a potluck or party, or have to feed a crowd! Sausage and spaghetti bake can be put together in the morning, covered and refrigerated. When it’s time for dinner, bake it for 30 minutes, add a big salad and some fresh Italian bread and the whole family will love it! This is a perfect dish to make when you’re asked to bring something to a casual party and everyone will love it!
Uncased, Italian sausage is cooked and added to an easy tomato sauce. Spaghetti is broken in half, cooked until just done, drained and stirred into the sausage mixture. A thick layer of shredded mozzarella cheese goes between the layers of sausage and spaghetti and the whole dish gets topped with a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese before baking.
You can also make a version of this dish with ground beef – swap out the sausage in the recipe for lean ground beef. Once baked, let it cool just a bit and cut into squares. Mr. Smarty Pants absolutely loves this dish! I know if I ask him what he wants for dinner, it’s going to be this! Leftovers are easy to reheat in the microwave, and a certain someone always likes to pack up a few squares to take for lunch the next day.
What’s your favorite dish to make in advance?
Thanks for visiting and hope you have a great day!
- 2 lbs. uncased Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I use Polaner’s, refrigerated garlic)
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, cut up – I squish them in a large bowl with my hands
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons each dried oregano, parsley and Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- ½ to ⅓ box spaghetti, broken in half, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large frying pan, break Italian sausage into small pieces; cook sausage until done. Drain off excess fat.
- Place garlic, whole tomatoes and tomato sauce in large stockpot over medium heat; add cooked sausage. Stir in sugar, oregano, parley, Italian seasoning, basil and 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bring sausage mixture to boiling; boil gently, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- While sausage/sauce mixture is cooking, bring large pot of water to a boil; add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add broken spaghetti, cook until just done (don’t overcook) and drain. Do not rinse!
- Remove sausage sauce from heat; stir in drained spaghetti.
- Place half of the spaghetti-sausage sauce in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish; sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the spaghetti.
- Top with remaining spaghetti-sausage mixture and sprinkle top generously with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover top of baking dish lightly with aluminum foil to prevent a too-crisp top. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly, removing foil cover for the last 5-10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Sharing at these parties!
Treasure Box Tuesday at Yesterfood Project Parade at This Silly Girl’s Life Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family Think & Make Thursday at Kenarry Ideas for the Home Thursday Favorite Things at Katherine’s Corner Wildly Original Link Party at I Gotta Create! Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends at Love Bakes Good Cakes Creativity Unleashed at shaken together Creative Collection Link Party at Blooming Homestead