Snacks are definitely needed for after-school, lunches, football season and family activities! Turn mini Saltines into Italian-Flavored Snack Crackers that are simply impossible to stop eating! Start with vegetable oil and a packet of Zesty Italian salad dressing mix, add extra spices and parmesan cheese, and create these savory, irresistible little morsels that are packed with flavor!
Though Mr. Smarty Pants and I don’t have kids going back to school any longer, and all the years of sports, scouts, dance & more are in our rear-view mirror, we will always look forward to the start of football season! We love to watch both college and pro, and we always need to have a little something to snack on during the game. I’m pretty sure hubby wants me munching, which means I’m not screaming. 🙂 Yes, I’ll own the fact that I’m an obnoxious football fan, but only in my own home or with family & friends.
I’ve always been a bit of a cracker fanatic. Give me a box of crackers of just about any kind and I’m a happy girl! When I was shopping at Target a few weeks ago, I stumbled across boxes of Mini Saltines for the first time. Mini Saltines! I’ve always loved Saltines – I eat them with peanut butter, cheese, chocolate and love spreading them with honey. I knew the mini version would make a perfect snack cracker.
It wasn’t until I was actually putting the cracker box in the trash that I noticed the box had an Italian recipe, too. That recipe sounds great as well, and only uses two ingredients, butter and the Italian salad dressing mix. My version pumps up the spice volume, with flavorful pops of garlic, basil and cheese. There really aren’t too many things I won’t put parmesan cheese on – a few things, but not many!
These Italian-flavored snack crackers could easily be addictive! It was shocking how quickly we devoured that bowl. Lesson learned – next time, make a double or triple batch!
August is waning and the holiday season is just a few short months away. I think these easy-to-make, savory snack crackers would be great packed in Mason jars and be a delicious holiday food gift. Think I know what might be on my homemade gift giving list this year!
I hope you give this snack cracker a try! Thanks so much for visiting!
- One box of Nabisco Premium Mini Saltine Crackers
- 1 packet of Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt, plus additional for sprinkling
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus additional cheese for sprinkling
- One large brown paper grocery bag
- Cut open a large brown paper bag and lay flat on table or countertop.
- Place Mini Saltine crackers in a large mixer bowl.
- In blender container, combine vegetable oil, Italian Salad dressing mix, Italian seasoning, basil, garlic salt and parmesan cheese.
- Blend until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour blended oil over crackers in mixing bowl.
- Mix and stir crackers with a rubber spatula until all crackers are well coated.
- Spread crackers out on brown paper bag.
- Sprinkle crackers with some additional garlic salt and grated parmesan cheese.
- Brown paper will absorb excess oil; let crackers “dry” and transfer them to a paper-towel lined bowl to absorb any additional oil.
- Store crackers in a tightly covered container.