Make rich, Chocolate Sherbet with a just a few ingredients – no ice cream maker needed! Nonfat or low-fat milk is combined with cocoa, sugar, a dash of salt and a vanilla bean for a delicious, frozen chocolate treat!
When I got married back in the 80’s, my aunt gave me a set of four tiny cookbooks from The Bon Appétit Kitchen Collection. Since Mr. Smarty Pants is a major chocoholic, he was all about the Chocolate Desserts book at the time. The set of books got packed away until I recently discovered them while we’ve been trying to do some de-cluttering. So….the goal to reduce clutter is not necessarily moving forward, but I did find these books! Hubby wants me to try ALL of the chocolate desserts! This chocolate sherbet was first on the list since it’s hot and something we need something frosty.
This sherbet was super easy to make! Cocoa, sugar, salt and milk are combined with a scraped vanilla bean and heated until just boiling. The chocolate mixture simmers for just five minutes, though once you start cooking, remember to stir constantly! When the mixture is cool, it’s time for the first freezing.
Pour the chocolate mixture into a shallow pan – I used a square baking pan. Once it’s almost frozen, you want to blend the sherbet in a blender or food processor to get a smooth consistency.
If you’re messy in the kitchen like I am, you might get a little chocolatey during this part! Remove chunks of sherbet from the square pan and mix in the blender or food processsor. After you blend each batch, pour the sherbet into a loaf pan.
Once all of the sherbet is blended and smooth, cover tightly with aluminum foil and pop it back in the freezer. Once frozen, you’re ready to scoop it into dishes and enjoy!
This sherbet has a rich flavor and is a fabulous, frosty chocolate treat on a summer day! Well wrapped, this will keep for two weeks! Even though we’re making it in summer, this chocolate sherbet would be great to serve any time of the year.
Thanks for visiting today!
- 1 ¾ cups unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups nonfat or 2% milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- In a medium saucepan, combine cocoa, sugar and salt and mix well.
- With a sharp knife, split vanilla bean and scrap out seeds.
- Gradually stir milk into the cocoa mixture.
- Add vanilla beans and vanilla bean to milk/cocoa mixture.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and bring mixture just to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to a simmer; stir constantly and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let mixture cool, remove vanilla bean.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a shallow pan and freeze.
- Remove sherbet from shallow pan in batches and place in blender; mix until smooth.
- Place blended sherbet into a loaf pan, cover with aluminum foil and return to freezer.
- Scoop into dishes, serve and enjoy!
Sharing at these parties: